Friday, April 18, 2014

Interview with a Dungeon Master

I interview my friend, who has chosen to go by 'A', about his years of experience being a Dungeon Master in Dungeons & Dragons.

C: So how long is it now that you've been DM'ing?
A: I've been DM'ing now for...about 6 or 7 years? Can't remember when I started in California but it's been about that long.

C: Do you make up your own stories, or go with pre-written adventures? What's the idea behind that?
A: Well at first it was all pre-written Wizards [of the Coast] stuff. I wasn't very good at coming up with things at first, but no DM really is. After awhile I created my own lore and setting that would work with D&D rules, and that's the place my friends and I would keep returning to. The D&D settings are cool and all, and a lot of it inspired me, but it's way more personal when you can create something unique that you yourself made.

C: How much wiggle room do you give yourself in your setting and rules? I mean, some players are bound to try to 'break' your game right?
A: Honestly, most people are pretty respectful [laughs]. But yeah, I do give myself some room to, interpret things differently. Usually if it's really something I don't see as possible within my setting, I'll have them make a roll for it, and just be like "well no, your character wasn't able to achieve that, as it's nigh impossible under these circumstances", of course if they roll a 20 then an exception will have to be made, but usually I try not to do too many things like that. There's a time to keep the narrative moving forward.

C: Are your stories usually pretty linear?
A: As far as going from city to city, yeah. But how you tackle my quests, may end up letting you explore additional dungeons for extra loot rolls and such. But I have a pretty good idea of the events that will be happening chronologically in my stories. I kind of leave it up to the players to try to screw it up, like if they really make one of the NPCs made then, well, the party might have to go somewhere else for that information.

C: How do you really moderate interactions between real human beings? How do you make sure what they do and say will all fit within your story?
A: I really don't. Although the overarching story is set, the events that happen in between that are fluid. Fluidity and flexibility are very important aspects of being a DM, and you're never good at them at first. It comes with experience.

C: So for my final question, what advice would you give to budding Dungeon Masters out there?
A: Don't. Give. Up. Learn everything about the game that you can, but most importantly, just start running adventures, even if they're pre-mades. The only way you really get good at DM'ing, is by DM'ing. So get your friends together and just play.



2 comments:

  1. I must say this is a nice little interview with a DM, and I like how you conducted the questioning and format. Your questions follow a linear order of progression and fit for the subject matter at hand. I also feel that the experience of dungeon master makes for a surprisingly interesting subject, even if it feels more friendly than professional. Overall I enjoy the interview and think there is only better to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a D&D player it's nice to see the perspective of the Dungeon Master. I've wanted to give DMing a shot myself, but the task has been daunting. The questions that you asked in the interview led to good and useful answers. On a side note, it would have been nice to know what edition of D&D that he played in, as rules vary between them.

    ReplyDelete